No Man's Sky Fan Site Message Forum
No Man's Sky
web analytics

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/25/2014 6:27 am  #1

Planet type

We've already seen some pretty good variation in planet types from the trailers and demo - frozen tundra, lush jungle, green/red forests and dry desert. We’ve even seen floating islands, which I’m really excited about. Obviously there will be variants on all of these elements, and many more that we’ve not yet seen.

Here are some planets that I hope we encounter, and my speculations on what they might be like:  

1. Gas giants. We’ve not seen anything like this yet in the trailers or demo, but I’m fairly sure we will. Gas planets are a fairly common planet type, so fingers crossed. If implemented, I imagine a ship would not be able to enter a gas planet’s dangerous atmosphere without the necessary upgrades, however they might be a good place to lose an enemy, or to harvest minerals. There might even be massive leviathan-sized whales or puffer fish floating in the clouds.

2. Ringed planets. It would be great to see this. The sight of a huge ringed planet floating on the horizon would look awesome. Again, possibly a good place to harvest minerals, or some other type of resource. Often in games and simulators planetary rings are rendered as a flat gradient, one pixel thick. If they appear in NMS it would be nice to see actual granular rings.

3. Oceanic planets. Exactly what it says. An entire planet covered in water, with vast oceans filled with huge alien fish. We’ve already seen giant sand worms, so I’m thinking something of equal size. I wonder if a ship will require an upgrade to enter the water?

4. Suns. Have we seen any yet? I don’t think we have, but I’m fairly sure we will. I wonder how close we can get? And will they vary in size and colour as they do in the real universe? This too might be a good place to harvest energy and power. And once a ship is strong enough they might be a good place to lose the enemy.

Who has their own speculations on planets types?

6/28/2014 4:22 pm  #2

Re: Planet type

I have wondered about the planets as well. I hope we see lava worlds and maybe ice planets as well. I think it would be interesting to see planets with different types of atmospheres from our own, but still have alien life forms on it.

I would also like to see possibly a ring world or maybe a Dyson Sphere.  Those might be difficult to do, but would be interesting to see for sure.

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai

12/20/2014 8:20 pm  #3

Sounds really cool. What if there are planets that are constantly bombarded by meteors or ones that don't have any life but lots of robots. Also, will the day and night cycles be there and if so, will they be accurate?
Lastly, one thing I'm always wondering is whether we can destroy chunks of a planet and what of an impact this will have on the life on this planet.

(ex-)Janitor Monjacu Clarke.

12/20/2014 8:42 pm  #4

From some of the things Sean Murray has said, I'm not sure we could destroy chunks of a planet, but he did say we could start to hurt the population of animals on a planet and that Robot protectors would come and attack you for hurting too many animals. That's going to be freaky.

I wonder if there are going to be moons around planets? From the videos we have seen, I haven't seen any moons, just planets close to each other. Sean Murray did say planets would be close to each other so you could see them in the sky while on a planets surrface. I think, why do you have to make them close to each other to see that? Couldn't moons do the same thing? You always see in movies, tv shows and books things in the sky, but I am sure they are always moons, not other planets. I wish I could ask Sean about that. It's really been bugging me.
I think Sean has mentioned day and night being in the game, so that should be cool.

7/06/2015 4:41 pm  #5

Well, in the new IGN video released today, Sean Murray confirmed moons! Yay!!! I am so happy about that. I was worried they were going to just have the planets close together, which wouldn't make any sense at all.

Board footera