No Man's Sky Fan Site Message Forum
No Man's Sky
web analytics

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2016 8:59 am  #1

Planet Types

Do we have any idea how many planet types there will be? I know the answer might be, "too many to count."  But I don't think it is.  The temperature of a planet (and it's distance to the sun) clearly helps determine it's environmental type.

We have currently seen some easily defined planets environments:

• Ice
  • Swamp
  • Desert
  • Grassland

However, we have seen some less easily defined planet types.  In the IGN planet tour video we saw:

• KUSHIMASHO
  • IMLYANOVOR-KAI
  • HABIK-OGAN
  • NOTOGERTASI
  • IIAMCHIAME

KUSHIMASHO is a swamp planet type, but the other 4 are less clearly defined I think.  IIAMCHIAME looks like it might be a grassland planet.

The question is, how much variety will we encounter? 20 planet types?  50? 1,000?

Just curious what your thoughts are.

4/28/2016 2:11 pm  #2

Re: Planet Types

I think we'll probably see variations of the 4 you mentioned, plus more. I also hope there are completely barren planets like our Moon. There could be Water worlds too or maybe Lava covered planets. I don't really know what all kinds of planets we will find, but I look forward to finding them, that's for sure.

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai

4/29/2016 7:22 am  #3

It sounds like we are assuming that whole planets will have only one biome, kind of like "Star Wars" planets.  But if these are truely planet sized bodies, I would assume that there could be temperate planets with many different biomes, like Earth.  With 18 quintillion planets, I think we will see all varieties of planets.

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." - Socrates

4/29/2016 8:25 am  #4

BluMoon31 wrote:

It sounds like we are assuming that whole planets will have only one biome, kind of like "Star Wars" planets.  But if these are truely planet sized bodies, I would assume that there could be temperate planets with many different biomes, like Earth.  With 18 quintillion planets, I think we will see all varieties of planets.

I think it has been established that they are like Star Wars.  Single biome planets.  But I could be wrong.

4/29/2016 11:59 am  #5

I'm thinking I remember Sean saying that all planets were one biome. He mentioned something about it raining on a planet and that it would be like that for the whole planet.
I'm wondering though that maybe they used to have multiple biome's and they changed it for some reason. Some of the screenshots I took from the original video clearly show areas of the planet that look quite different. Check them out for yourself.
http://www.nmsfansite.com/?page_id=19

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai

Board footera